Okay, not exactly
…But we’re talking smoothies in a bowl here, and there’s something about placing your bright and fruity concoction in a bowl, then sprinkling it with a medley of tasty toppings that makes life way more exciting than if it were being sipped from a plastic cup. I’m going to argue that it’s also more fun to eat, and definitely more beautiful to Instagram.
Let’s talk recipes, shall we? Smoothie bowls should be as refreshing as creative as they are refreshing. No need to go bananas here, these simple recipes will have you feeling satisfied, confident, and quickly converted.
Raspberry breakfast bowl:
- 10 ounces frozen mangoes or peaches
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces frozen raspberries
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- ? cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup flaxmeal
- ¼ cup honey
- a pinch of salt
- berries, granola, nuts, coconut, and cream for topping
1. Soften the frozen fruit (microwave, or thaw on the counter for a bit)
2. Blend peaches with water and raspberries with coconut milk.
3. Combine the two fruit puree mixtures and stir in the chia seeds, flax, honey, and salt. Let stand for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
4. Serve with toppings of your choice. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days – add water to leftovers to rehydrate (the chia seeds will soak up a lot of the moisture, making them super thick).
Recipe and images via Pinch of Yum
And for the green smoothie bowl recipe (hint, hint: avocado and spinach), check out the recipe on GoodLife Eats.
By Alexis Bendjouia