If you haven’t explored the benefits of coconut oil in the last year, you have probably been living under a rock. Not only is a jar of coconut oil one of the best home investments because it doubles up for both cooking and beauty routines, but it’s a very versatile ingredient with more benefits and uses than you think!
- lather on the oil in the shower for the ultimate silky skin or apply after as moisturizer. It can also be used on the face in small quantities and to take off make up! Anytime you have some leftover mascara or eyeliner lingering from the night before, dip a cotton swab in some coconut oil and it will work wonders.
- You can also make a body scrub (like this one), use it instead of shaving cream, as a massage oil or lip scrub.
- Coconut oil can also work wonders for the hair—as a leave in conditioner, to tame frizzy hair and reduce static!
- Cooking: coconut oil is one of the best ones out there when you are cooking at really high temperatures. You can also use it as a substitute for butter on your toast, on popcorn, to fry eggs, and more
- There’s a new trend around town called oil pulling, where you swish some coconut oil around your mouth for a few minutes and it is said to boost oral health, kill germs, prevent bad breath and disease and more. (Read here)
- And…here are some of Dr. Oz’s thoughts on coconut oil benefits!
By Alexis Bendjouia